Portobello Capital has acquired a 24% stake in Controlauto and will partner with Brisa Auto Estradas de Portugal (“Brisa”) – the majority shareholder owning the remaining 76% stake in Controlauto – to internationalize Controlauto’s business through M&A in Spain and other Southern European countries over the following years.

Portobello Capital will leverage its know-how of the Spanish vehicle inspection market, its strong M&A expertise, and its deep network of advisors to internationalize Controlauto’s business through M&A in Spain and other Southern European countries, while the company and the management team continue to operate as the leading VTI group in Portugal.

Founded in 1993 and based in Portugal, Controlauto is the leading vehicle technical inspection operator in Portugal and one of the five largest VTI groups in Iberia, with 51 inspection centers across Portugal carrying out ~1.6 million inspections per year. The Controlauto brand is widely recognized and linked to high quality services provided by certified and diligent professionals. In 2022, Controlauto reported €41m turnover.

As part of the transaction, Portobello also acquires a 24% stake in Controlauto Serviços, a platform aiming at developing businesses adjacent to vehicle testing. As an example, Controlauto Serviços recently launched the VerifiCar brand in Portugal with the aim of providing more security, transparency and confidence in the buying and selling process of used vehicles between individuals.

The investment in Controlauto is the Portobello Structured Partnerships Fund I’s sixth investment following AGQ Labs, Condis Supermercats, Torre Oria, Eurocebollas and Arenit, whose investment mandate is to provide flexible growth capital solutions, without taking control, to middle-market companies and entrepreneurs in Spain and broader Europe.

Portobello Capital has been advised by Ernst & Young and RRP Advogados. Brisa Group has been advised by Vieira de Almeida

About Portobello Capital

Founded in 2010, Portobello Capital is a leading independent mid-market private equity firm, based in Spain and investing in Southern Europe. It has more than 2,100 million euros of Assets Under Management, an experienced team of more than thirty-five professionals and a current portfolio of 24 companies.

About Brisa Group

Brisa Group is the leading motorways and mobility player in Portugal, operating 5 concessions in Portugal covering 1,500km and 24 service areas. The Brisa Group's portfolio includes assets divided into five business areas: motorway concessions, road service areas, vehicle inspections, mobility services and payments, and technology solutions for mobility. Guided by sustainable mobility, the Brisa Group's positioning has evolved from managing transport infrastructures to providing innovative mobility and active management solutions, both in Portugal and abroad.

About Controlauto:

Founded in 1993 and based in Portugal, Controlauto is the leading vehicle technical inspection (“VTI”) operator in Portugal and one of the five largest VTI groups in Iberia, with 51 inspection centers across Portugal carrying out 1.6 million inspections per year.

Subscribe to Directory
Write an Article

Highlight

Axon moves into Cloud Technology

by Axon Partners Group

cloud technology axon

GSI entra a participar en Éxxita Be Cir...

by Global Social Impact (GSI)

Global Social Impact Investements SGIIC (GSI), la gestora de fondos de...

Photos Stream